BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Introducing Centers with Wipe Out!

Wipe Out game card
Center response card


This week I introduced how centers will work in my room. We always start small with only one center so we can discuss expectations and practice appropriate behavior. I introduced a new game called Wipe Out. In this partner game, the kids cover up all the numbers with a marker. They take turn rolling two number cubes and using any operation to remover a marker. For example, if the child rolled a two and a three, he could add the two numbers and uncover the five, he could multiply to uncover the six, or he could subtract and uncover the three. The strategy comes in when they realize their first operation choice may give them an answer that's already been uncovered. They must then see if another operation will work. The winner is the first to clear the board. I always love to hear the discussion that comes with this game. They kids are always good about helping each other out!

When the students finished playing the game, they were responsible for filling out the center response card. I try to always have some sort of accountability in my game centers. Because I'm pulling a small group in the back and can't always see everything that goes on in the game centers, this helps me see who really played the game and who wasn't as involved as was expected.
 A pretty logical explanation for a 4th grader! Great thinking!

0 comments: